Study in Doll Clothes, Hemming.

Doll clothes are a pain. Turning hems in tight spaces are even worse. I've been largely unhappy with my sloppy hem jobs at the neckline, so I've been dabbling in ways to improve them. Most of the methods listed I am specifically references the neck area in ease of use or not. Other places are easier to hem, but I'm trying to make doll clothing as painless as possible for others to join in. And if I, a self-proclaimed 'expert' sewer, hates neck lines what do beginners think?

 

Method 1: Bias Tape

While bias tape is an easy go to at any store that sells sewing materials, and yes it comes in many pre-made sizes. I don't really like bias tape, not for doll making that is. If you are making yourself clothes! It saves you so much trouble. But back to the original point. For doll clothes it adds far too much stiffness and bulk regardless of which bias tape you pick. This really should be on the last of the list as I dislike it the most but it is the most readily available. So... take note first, me no likie.

Method 2: Facing

Facing tends to be custom made per project to either match, as it is made out of the same material. Or it is made in a different material as a visible pop of contrast. Facing is actually my go to. It makes the cleanest hem in tight spaces, specifically the neck. For doll clothes I do make it out of the same material so if stuff does show you can't tell unless you are really looking. A quick zig zag stitch or some fray check on the inside edge, sew into place, clip & flip, and sewing down makes the garment look sharp. 

Note, like the bias tape it does add a level of stiffness. The stiffness varies by material and thickness. But I still prefer facing the best. This is my favorite option!

Example of Facing:

 

Example of facing.


 Method 3: Lace

Lace is an easy go to for a sew and flip to see it hem. However it is also a great way to add a little interest into a an outfit and get a clean hem. I find this is the best beginner friendly means of a great clean hem. You sew it on that hard to sew edge, clip it just a bit to give your fabric (not the lace) some flex. Then flip it in and sew down. 

The nice thing is Wal-Mart carries cheap $1 balls of lace in several colors that can get you started. 

Example of Lace Hemming:

Example of Lace Hemming

Finish view of the hemming.


Method 4 : Turning your Hem

I honestly hate this for doll clothes. For skirts and wide/long hems it's not bad. But tiny hems to roll the fabric and sew it down under the machine is a nightmare. Not to mention clipping. I'd say for doll clothes making skip this option entirely and just get your glue stick to get your hem in place. 

 Just me mindful of the potential stains your glue of choice could cause. Try it on a sample piece first. 

 

Method 5 : Hand Sewing

I use to be hands down an anti-hand sewer. I realize now it has it's place and I even baste on occasion before I hit the sewing machine. And while I still don't endorse hand sewing for hems. Reason pictured below... (insert picture here)

But those of you who don't even have a sewing machine I bet could put my hand sewing to extreme shame. The bonus of hand sewing is that you can correct a lot more easily as you go. So it's on the list because it is a viable and beginner friendly option. 

And before you let your lack of sewing machine and sloppy starter work get you down. Practice makes improvement. Would you rather get better at hand sewing something original and unique to your taste or sew nothing at all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1:6 Doll Shorts (#012)

Pants and Tights #1

Mage Robe Pattern